Job Location: Tempe, Arizona
VirTra post-production artists are a vital part of enhancing the realism of our Military and Law Enforcement video-based training scenarios and achieving the overall vision of these productions. They must use independent judgment and creative talent to determine the visual effects required for location and studio-based productions and make sure they are designed, executed, and captured properly. Once captured, our VFX artists use various compositing solutions, including proprietary tools and software, to create interactive mixed-media panoramic environments. Compositing and rotoscoping of people, vehicles and other elements are necessary steps in creating the panoramic spatial environments and special effects our scenarios demand. Additional tasks include on-set consulting during filming of scenarios, including green/blue screen productions.
• Work closely with in-house Directors, Subject Matter Experts, and Director of Training and Curriculum to pre-visualize and develop realistic Military/Law Enforcement-based video scenarios, providing solutions to potential visual problems during production.
• Input during Pre-Production to enhance scenario realism and immersion.
• Creative and technical directors on-set, leading small art crew working to achieve desired art direction and visual effects.
• Script, plan and create mockups and test scenarios in Pre-Production, to ensure that the Subject Matter Expert’s and Content Director’s vision is achievable.
• Use innovative solutions to minimize delays and solve unique production challenges.
• Identify visual problems during Production and offer innovative solutions to solve and/or workaround in order to proceed in a timely manner.
• Use a combination of artistic skills, creativity and advanced software knowledge to achieve a seamless composite in Post Production.
• Composite and stitch panoramic video and still images.
• Animation of special effects and various other media assets.
• Chroma key and color-correct a mix of still and video images.
• Learn and utilize proprietary software to integrate media onto our systems and/or products.
• Produce high quality content while self-managing production deadlines.
• Additional on-set tasks may include grip, lighting, and audio duties
• Comply with departmental ISO 9001 processes
• Performs any other duties as assigned to better the department or the company
• Creative in problem solving
• Time and Self-Management
• Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
• Collaboration Skills
• Independent judgment
• Communication Proficiency
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and speak. Frequently the employee will be required to stand; walk; use hands or fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Will occasionally be subject to outside environmental conditions and higher than normal noise levels. Will be required to climb, kneel, crouch and lift items of 60 lbs. or more. Visual acuity including color, depth perception and field of vision required. Often will be required to sit and work at a computer for upwards of 4 hours at a time, which requires repetitive motion of the wrist, hands and/or fingers.
Education and Experience:
• BA in fine arts or relevant curriculum, or equivalent skill set.
• Expertise in Adobe After Effects, Photoshop and Mocha
• Experience in keying and compositing green/blue screened assets
• Basic video and audio editing skills
• On set experience as compositing/special effects consultant
• Typical work schedule: 8:00 to 5:00, Monday – Friday but flexible work hours required which could include evening or weekend work due to video shoots, production deadlines, coordination of duties or project demand.
• Position requires the ability to travel up to 50% of the time within the U.S. and internationally.
• Pre-employment background check and drug testing required.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity