Job Location: Tempe, Arizona
VirTra is looking at hiring a motivated and persistent Sr. Mechanical Engineer that is focused on completing and delivering projects and able to speak to past projects, with portfolio of design projects available for review during interview.
Will design and produce low to medium production volume hardware products for a firearms simulation training company ranging from systems integration of commercial off-the-shelf hardware to recoil kits for firearms, test fixtures, machining fixtures and other projects. Project to be taken from design to production, including prototypes and testing. The production designs are complex electronic/mechanical assemblies that incorporate state of the art, electronically controlled firearm components to allow advanced simulator training in a safe environment with realistic weapon recoil and accuracy.
• Performs engineering assignments with clear objectives and goals but has the ability to tackle the abstract.
• Read and interpret technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
• Design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
• Ability to analyze static and dynamic behavior of parts and/or assemblies using finite element methods to include; metals, plastics and non-linear materials. Preferably using Solidworks Simulation Premium.
• Exceptional capability in understanding and designing complex, high reliability, high acceleration mechanisms.
• Detailed understanding of component inspection processes such as CMM, CT/X-Ray, Laser scanning, hand tools.
• Detailed understanding of material testing such as; hardness/micro-hardness, surface finish, plating/coating thicknesses, FTIR, wet bench.
• Expert understanding of jigs, fixtures, tooling and materials.
• Expert in creating clear, concise, component/assembly drawings to established ANSI Y14.5 standards.
• Expert in GD&T interpretation and application to component drawings and inspection.
• Advanced understanding of manufacturing processes, to include CNC machining, injection molding, welding, sheet metal.
• Advanced proficiency with Solidworks software, minimum of 10 yrs. continuous use preferred.
• Exceptional technical writing skills as relates to the creation of manufacturing work instructions, process documents and instructional manuals.
• Strong ability to work in a diverse team work environment.
• Good organizational skills. The position will be required to help manage the inventory of parts used in the building of the electrical and mechanical hardware assemblies
2. Learning orientation
3. Technical capacity
4. Problem Solving
5. Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
6. Team work
7. Assembly dexterity
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Frequently the employee will be required to stand; walk; sit and use hands or fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 to 30lbs. Working with basic hand and machine tools as well as small parts which require visual acuity and hand/eye coordination. Requires ability to work on items repetitively.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum of 14 years’ mechanical or manufacturing engineering experience required
• Exceptional mechanical, analytical and technical skills
• Must have good interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work diligently as an individual contributor or team player
• Solid understanding of engineering design concepts, principles, and theory
• Experience with or knowledge of firearms and firearm safety preferred
• Skilled knowledge of “Design of Experiments” techniques.
• Skilled knowledge of “Failure Mode and Effects” analysis.
• Ability to analyze a wide range of product data in the determination of root causes to problems.
• Expert in tolerance analysis using RSS, Six Sigma, Monte Carlo
• Ability to develop product test qualification criteria and equipment.
• Working knowledge of Quality Control/Assurance principles.
• Investigate equipment failures and perform reliability testing so that design enhancements can be communicated to the mechanical design team.
• Analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
• Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Communication and direction with manufactures and vendors for products involving Commercial off-the-shelf hardware systems integration.
• Full time position consisting of 40+ hours per week; normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4:30pm. This position may require overtime and/or weekend work due to production, rework or customer deadlines.
• Pre-employment drug test and background check required.