Job Location: Tempe, Arizona
Will design and produce low to medium production volume hardware products for a firearms simulation training company ranging from systems integration of commercial off-the-shelf hardware to recoil kits for firearms, test fixtures, machining fixtures and other projects. Project to be taken from design to production, including prototypes and testing. The production designs are complex electronic/mechanical assemblies that incorporate state of the art, electronically controlled firearm components to allow advanced simulator training in a safe environment with realistic weapon recoil and accuracy.
• Performs engineering assignments with clear and specified objectives and involves conventional types of plans and specifications.
• Read and interpret technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
• Design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
• Investigate product/equipment failures and perform reliability testing so that design enhancements can be communicated to the project team.
• Analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
• Specify system components (custom or COTS) or direct modification of other products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Develop outside vendors for use in projects. This includes communicating through phone, email, or video chat to direct vendors and or buyers internally.
• Exceptional technical writing skills to create and maintain concise instructional manuals.
• Strong ability to work in a diverse team work environment.
• Good organizational skills. The position will be required to help manage the inventory of parts used in the building of the electrical and mechanical hardware assemblies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must be a hands-on type person
2. Learning orientation
3. Technical capacity
4. Problem Solving
5. Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
6. Team work
7. Assembly dexterity
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Frequently the employee will be required to stand; walk; sit and use hands or fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 to 30lbs. Working with basic hand and machine tools as well as small parts which require visual acuity and hand/eye coordination. Requires ability to work on items repetitively.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
• Experience working in a new product development environment a must.
• Minimum 7 years hands on design engineering experience required.
• Good mechanical, analytical and technical skills.
• Ability to take hardware products from prototype stage to full production.
• Skilled enough to quickly and innovatively react to change and problems in the product development process.
• Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work as an individual contributor or team player.
• Advanced proficiency with Solidworks software and MS Office.
• Solid abilities in creating clear, concise, component / assembly drawings to established ANSI Y14.5 std.
• Skilled in GD&T interpretation and application to component drawings and inspection.
• Solid understanding of engineering design concepts, principles, and theory.
• Experience using and maintaining firearms is preferred.
• Solid understanding of DFA/DFM, to include CNC machining, injection molding, welding, sheet metal, jigs, fixtures, manual assembly.
• Full time position consisting of 40+ hours per week; normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4:30pm. This position may require overtime and/or weekend work due to production, rework or customer deadlines.
• Pre-employment drug test and background check required.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity