Job Location: Tempe, Arizona
Responsible for setting up and operating numerical control machining centers to perform various functions, such as cutting, drilling, milling, reaming, boring, and broaching of metallic and nonmetallic work pieces, utilizing knowledge of machine tool capabilities, machinability of materials, and shop math.
• Analyze drawing, sketches, and design data of part to determine dimension and configuration of cuts, selection of cutting tools, and machine speed and feed rates, according to knowledge of machine shop processes, part specifications, and machine capabilities.
• Reads and interprets blueprints, planning sheets, sketches, and related technical data to determine tooling requirements, setup procedures, control settings, and machining methods and sequences.
• Writes instruction sheets and cutter lists to guide setup and operation of machine.
• Using Mastercam, generate programs for the CNC mills (Haas and Fadal) or 2 axis programs for the CNC Lathe (Doosan).
• Set-up responsibilities include:
o Mounts, aligns, and secures tooling, attachments, and work piece on machine.
o Selects and installs cutting tools in machine.
o Loads program in machine or enters commands to retrieve preprogrammed instructions from data base.
o Observes operation of machine on trial run to prove out programmed instructions.
o Discusses programming errors with supervisor to resolve problems.
• Calculates and sets machine controls to position spindle in relationship to work piece and to regulate factors, such as cutting depth, speed, feed and coolant flow.
• Starts machine and monitors displays and machine operation to detect malfunctions.
• Stops machine to change cutting tools and setup according to required machining sequence or to measure parts for conformance to blueprint specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
• Enters commands or manually adjusts machine controls to correct malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining.
• Revise programs to eliminate instruction errors or omissions.
• Operates machine manually to perform non-automated functions as needed.
• Check as many dimensions as possible and practical for the operation prior to submitting first piece to inspection.
• Confirm inspection results for the operation prior to running production parts.
• Inspects and measures parts to maintain our high quality standards.
• Provide accurate data for the computerized shop control system.
• Fill out discrepant material tags properly including notification of defects to supervisor.
• Work towards our goals of 100% On-Time Delivery and 100% Quality.
• Communicates with co-workers and supervisor to receive instructions and coordinate general work activities.
• Clean machine, tooling, and parts.
• Perform machine maintenance.
• Clean-up of work area, and other areas of the facility as asked adhering to 5S principles.
• May be asked to assist in other plant functions under direct supervision of the shop team lead.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to better a department or company.
Education and Experience:
5+ years of trade school, vocational education, work experience, or apprenticeship.
Knowledge of Mastercam, Doosan, Haas and Fadal preferred.
• Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead, and bend to the floor
• Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or
• Exert 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or
• Exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Full time position consisting of 40+ hours per week; normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 2:30pm. This position may require long hours and weekend work due to production, rework or customer deadlines.
• Pre-employment drug test and background test
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity