Job Location: Tempe, AZ
Responsible for setting up and operating CNC machining centers and CNC lathes to perform various functions, such as cutting, drilling, milling, reaming, boring, and broaching of metallic and nonmetallic work pieces, utilizing knowledge of machine tool capabilities, machinability of materials, and shop math. Performs work under general supervision. Handles moderately complex work issues and problems and refers highly complex issues to higher level staff. May provide leadership, coaching and/or mentoring to shop staff.
- Efficiently setup and operate 3-5 axis CNC mills, multi-axis lathes, manual mills and lathes to execute the production of precision products with little guidance from technical lead.
- Set-up responsibilities include:
- Mounts, aligns, and secures tooling, attachments, and work piece on machine.
- Selects and installs cutting tools in machine.
- Loads program in machine or enters commands to retrieve preprogrammed instructions from data base.
- Observes operation of machine on trial run to prove out programmed instructions.
- Adjusts speeds and feeds as needed.
- Communicates programming errors with the programmer to resolve problems.
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and how to use inspection equipment such as micrometers, dial indicators, height gauges, pin gauges, and gauge blocks.
- Grinds own tool bits and drills as required.
- Support both prototyping and high-volume machining.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, setup sheets, sketches, and related technical data.
- Stops machine to change cutting tools when broken, dull, or cutting unacceptably.
- Should be able to read and manually create G-code programs at the control for semi-complex programs such as drill cycles, basic pocket and contour toolpaths.
- Able to accurately calculate speeds, feeds, depth of cut and coolant type/flow per manufacturer or machinery handbook recommendations
- Able to recommend process improvement ideas to maintain our goal of continuous improvement.
- Starts machine and monitors displays and machine operation to detect malfunctions.
- Have the knowledge to manually adjusts tool wear and work offsets correct nonconforming product.
- Check and correct as many dimensions as possible and practical for the operation prior to submitting first piece to inspection.
- Confirm inspection results for the operation prior to running production parts.
- Fill out discrepant material tags properly including notification of defects to supervisor.
- Work with the team to help achieve our companies’ goals of 95% On-Time Delivery, and less than 5% returns or failures in the field.
- Communicates with co-workers, programmer and supervisor to receive instructions and coordinate general work activities.
- Clean machine, tooling, and parts.
- Perform daily preventative machine maintenance.
- Clean-up of work area, and other areas of the facility as asked adhering to 5S principles.
- May be asked to assist in other plant functions under direct supervision of the shop supervisor.
- Comply with department ISO 9001 processes and company quality policy
- Manage and log time worked daily by project code
- Provide miscellaneous support to other departments, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed to better a department or company.
Education and Experience:
- 2 – 4 years of trade school, vocational education, work experience, or apprenticeship.
- Knowledge of Mastercam, Doosan, Haas, Kitamura and Fadal preferred.
- Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead, and bend to the floor, frequently
- Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or
- Exert 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or
- Exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Exposure to loud sounds and smells of manufacturing.
- Full time position is Monday-Friday consisting of a 40-hour work week:
- First Shift is 6:00am to 2:30pm
- Second Shift is 2:00 to 10:30pm
- Third Shift is 10:00pm to 6:30am
- This position may require periodic overtime and weekend work during periods of high production and/or audit.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screening and background check due to federal firearms license requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity